Guayaquil, Ecuador (EFE).- Ecuadorian President Daniel Noboa on Friday signed an executive decree calling a referendum to decide whether Ecuadorians support lifting the constitutional ban on foreign military bases in the country.
The measure, if approved, could pave the way for the return of a United States military presence similar to the one in the coastal city of Manta, which ended in 2009.
The decree instructs the National Electoral Council (CNE) to move forward with preparations for the vote, which could be held on Nov. 30, alongside other electoral processes.
“Once the executive decree is issued, the CNE may organize and execute the referendum jointly with ongoing electoral and popular consultations,” the Constitutional Court said in its ruling.
Security concerns behind the proposal
The referendum question, validated by the Constitutional Court on Aug. 7, seeks to amend Article 5 of Ecuador’s 2008 Constitution, which prohibits foreign military bases or facilities for military purposes on national territory.
That restriction, introduced under former Ecuadoran President Rafael Correa (2007-2017), forced the US military to vacate its Manta base.
Noboa argued that the country’s current security challenges demand a new approach.
“Ecuador’s security situation requires adopting diverse strategies against organized crime in all its forms,” the president stated in his decree.
In Oct. 2024, Noboa first introduced the proposal, which was later approved by the National Assembly and must now be ratified through a popular vote.
During a recent official visit to Quito, US Secretary of State Marco Rubio said Washington was “open to evaluating the reinstatement of a military base” if Ecuador formally presented such a request.
Clash with the Constitutional Court
The referendum call comes amid escalating tensions between Noboa and the Constitutional Court.
The president has criticized the judges for striking down several of his reform proposals, including a bid to allow impeachment of the court’s members and a plan to reduce the number of lawmakers.
Earlier this year, the court also provisionally suspended parts of three controversial laws championed by Noboa as key tools in his fight against organized crime.
In response, the president led mass marches in Quito and Guayaquil, urging the court to “let the people decide.”
Despite setbacks, Noboa has pressed ahead with fresh referendum questions, currently under review, that touch on the court’s oversight powers.
The military base proposal is the first to advance.
Now, Noboa insists the fight against drug trafficking and gang violence requires stronger international cooperation. EFE
cbs/seo/mcd